Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Diwali

This morning I woke up to the sounds of Diwali - crackers and rockets and phuljhadi's and what not. I was morose at having been woken up at 6:15 AM, having just shut off the alarm at 6:00 and then the snooze at 6:10. And so I began the day cursing Diwali for disturbing my much loved and always-been-there-for-me companion - sleep.

Later in the evening, when the festive mood was just setting in with renewed vigour, I wondered why people made all this fuss about Diwali - all the shopping and 'feeling good' and all the crackers, gifts, new clothes and all that goes with the season of Diwali. I mean yeah, I realized that that was the same thing that I myself did as a young punk, but reflecting on it now, it confounded me why people are so happy in these 4 days, just 4 regular days of the year. There are the earned holidays to consider, of course, but even apart from that, there seems to be a excitement and enthusiasm about Diwali that seemed to me, unexplicable. Do not mistake me, I'm not a pessimist, a 'what-good-will-that-do' person. It just made me think, having being given the faculty to do so and having had nothing better to do.

Then just as the noise level rose to a tumultous cacophony of sounds, as I stood there staring out onto the horizon, soaked with the smoke from crackers and 'atom-bombs', not a single silent second reaching my ears, I kept seeing the rockets explode in front of me in various hues and sounds. And slowly, unbeknownst to me, my face was lit by a small smile, not entirely different from the smile which dons childrens' faces on being given a chocolate. I kept watching, eager to see more explosions, more lights, true to the spirit of Diwali.
And so I stood there, watching, for ten, fifteen, twenty minutes, until I realized I had become the same person whom I couldn't understand in the morning - one who is excited and 'felt good' about a festival. I guess it is in the atmosphere - you can't keep it away for long, the spirit of enjoyment.


And, of course, I lurve the smell of cracker-smoke. And that of petrol and a just-struck matchstick, but I digress.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice work!!but too hifg fundoo english

10:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

finally undetected is getting detected !!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Dinesh said...

Welcome back Mr uNdeTecTeD

10:26 PM  
Blogger Abhishek Shingote said...

hey fucker..sup..got me own blog now..

theeviltubelight.blogspot.com

7:57 AM  
Blogger Kedar said...

Thankyou all.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://hehtcelq.com/csnw/ribh.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qhcyncjy.com/waot/naeq.html]Cool site[/url]

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://hehtcelq.com/csnw/ribh.html | http://iizztfbq.com/jawm/zmvq.html

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Fine furniture outlets Prescriptions cheap Melrose vintage 50s furniture free voyeur private beach Wellbutrin highest dosage blonde babe blow job homevirtualsite10fstvarwwwhtmlresultscheap mp3 cd players college need scholarships now Mid american conference baseball Low mortgage rate no points21 national parks camping pets Virginia registrar furniture stores service manual for 2003 oldsmobile mini van Gay jungen Living room furniture california Team sports uniform manufacturers Purchase bontril onli Suzuki df140 prop 4 14

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Подтверждаю. Я присоединяюсь ко всему выше сказанному. Давайте обсудим сей вопрос. Здесь либо в PM. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-kirpichnom-stroitelstve/102-stroitelstvo-kirpichnykh-domov-tseny.html]ремонт квартир цены[/url]

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home